Skip to Content

Dependent Audit Aims to Save Money on Benefits Costs

In Brief

  • Crozer-Keystone recently held an Employee Benefits Dependent Audit to verify that all of data were accurate and correct.
  • The audit will potentially save Crozer-Keystone more than $909,000 per year.
  • With the rise in healthcare costs, Crozer-Keystone Health System conducted this audit to get the most updated records for all covered family members and confirm that each dependent is eligible for benefits under the rules of the plan.

Did you know that the annual cost to provide family medical coverage in the Crozer-Keystone Medical Plan/Select A has increased from $8,400 in 2003 to $16,300 in 2009? That represents a 94 percent increase in six years.

Because of these rising costs, Crozer-Keystone recently held an Employee Benefits Dependent Audit to verify that all of their data were accurate and correct.

On average, employees pay 10 percent of their annual health costs per year. In 2003, the average employee paid $900 a year; today, the average employee pays $1,630. Crozer-Keystone covers the other 90 percent of healthcare costs. The cost for the health system has risen from $7,500 per employee in 2003 to $14,670 in 2009, based on the full-time employee cost.

Recently, employees who had dependents listed on their Crozer-Keystone Medical Plan/Select A were required to update all dependents’ status and information. Crozer-Keystone conducted this audit to get the most updated records for all covered family members, confirm that each dependent is eligible for benefits under the rules of the plan, and remove any ineligible dependents for all benefit plans.

 “Crozer-Keystone conducted a dependent eligibility audit, which supports our continuing effort to manage our rising benefit costs. We want to be certain that we provide coverage only for dependents that are truly eligible for the plans, and that all of us, as plan participants, do not pay for dependents that are not eligible. Crozer-Keystone contracted with Gallagher Benefit Services, Inc. to conduct a Dependent Eligibility Audit in September,” says Gene Zegar, vice president of Human Resources.

The audit helped Crozer-Keystone to determine eligible dependents and remove those from the healthcare plan that did not qualify. The audit will potentially save Crozer-Keystone more than $909,000 per year.

Because confidentiality is important to Crozer-Keystone and Gallagher Benefit Services, all documents were handled in accordance with HIPAA guidelines. For additional information about the audit or the comprehensive benefit plan, contact Employee Benefit Services at (610) 595-6380 or 19-6380.

This program supports the mission and goals of Wellness Works, which helps Crozer-Keystone employees achieve a healthy lifestyle through health promotion and disease prevention. Employees who participate in these programs may be eligible to receive credit on their Healthy Lifestyle Tracker. For more information about Wellness Works, contact Susan Winkles at (610) 595-6387.

Contact Us

Crozer-Keystone Health System

Grant Gegwich, Vice President

Phone: 610-447-6316
Fax: 610-447-2015
Pager: 610-604-1728

Crozer-Chester Medical Center
Kate Stier, Director

Phone: 610-447-6314
Fax: 610-447-2015
Pager: 610-541-3130

Community Hospital
Kate Stier,  Director

Phone: 610-447-6314
Fax: 610-447-2015
Pager: 610-541-3130

Springfield Hospital
Kate Stier,  Director

Phone: 610-447-6314
Fax: 610-447-2015
Pager: 610-541-3130

Healthplex Sports Club
Kate Stier, Director

Phone: 610-447-6314
Fax: 610-447-2015
Pager: 610-541-3130

Delaware County Memorial Hospital

Mary Wascavage
Director of Public Relations and Marketing

Phone: 610-284-8619
Fax: 610-284-8606
Pager: 610-318-0861

Taylor Hospital

Mary Wascavage, Director

Phone: 610-284-8619
Fax: 610-284-8606
Pager: 610-318-0861