Healthplex Sports Club Offers New Specialized Wellness Programs
- The Wellness Center at the Healthplex Sports Club offers monitored fitness programs for men and women with and without preexisting medical conditions.
- Some of these programs are designed to help participants bridge the gap between medically based outpatient treatment and an independent exercise program, while others focus on specific populations, such as new mothers.
- Healthful Ways is a program designed for people with limiting conditions such as obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol. The highly personalized program focuses on physical education, nutritional support and exercise.
- The Wellness Center is headquartered in a private space within the club. Certain programs take advantage of the club’s facilities, including its swimming pool.
If your path to fitness might need a little assistance, the Wellness Center at the Healthplex Sports Club might be the right place for you. The club’s Wellness Center offers monitored fitness programs for men and women with and without preexisting medical conditions. With a new, permanent location within the Healthplex, the Wellness Center offers a variety of programs developed for the specific needs of its members and participants.
The Wellness Center has programs geared at specific populations such as our new mom series, as well as specialized programs and classes designed to help participants bridge the gap between medically based outpatient treatment and independent exercise programs.
No matter what the participant’s goals might be, the Wellness Center’s staff is prepared to provide, knowledge and support to help reach them.
“The great thing about our Wellness Center is that it addresses people’s specific needs,” says Carla DeWald, administrative director of Rehabilitation Services at Springfield Hospital and general manager of the Healthplex Sports Club. “Consider someone who would like to start getting some exercise but has never been to a gym before. Our programs provide an important link that allows people to recognize the benefits of exercise in a comfortable, supervised environment.”
Taking advantage of everything the Wellness Center has to offer starts with a referral from your physician or other healthcare provider, along with a review of your health history. The Wellness Center and its highly qualified staff are dedicated to placing each participant in the most beneficial program possible.
The variety of specific programs includes:
- Healthy Living: This one-hour class, which combines various types of cardiovascular exercise with resistance training, is designed for people with orthopedic injuries, neuromuscular disorders and limited exercise capability.
- Fall Prevention: Designed for those who need to improve balance, flexibility, and strength, this program uses strength training exercises to improve balance and reduce falls.
- Aqua Aerobics: Led by certified and accredited aquatics instructors, Aqua Aerobics classes are held in a warm water therapy pool and are designed for people with orthopedic injuries, balance issues, neuromuscular disorders and limited exercise experience and/or capacity.
- Moms in Motion: This program is dedicated to helping new moms and moms-to-be remain fit during pregnancy and after giving birth. The classes, both land-based and aquatic, are tailored to the specific needs of each mother.
In addition to the various classes available within these programs, the Wellness Center has recently introduced Healthful Ways.
Healthful Ways is a program designed for people with limiting conditions such as obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol. This highly personalized program, which focuses on physical education, nutritional support and exercise, is committed to helping participants reach their specific goals toward health and well being. Each member is given an initial exercise assessment through a certified personal trainer in order to help create an individual workout plan.
“Healthful Ways was designed to help people meet specific goals, like losing weight and building stamina, but the program also provides crucial education about each participant’s physical needs,” says Tonya Merrill, wellness coordinator.
With a growing number of participants, Merrill expects the Healthful Ways program to expand “exponentially” in the near future.
Regardless of the program, however, the Wellness Center can accommodate participants with a variety of conditions, and can help make referrals to other resources throughout the health system when participants as needed.
“The Wellness Program emphasizes continuing education,” DeWald says. “The reason that the programs are so beneficial is because they provide personalized access and connection to information and resources.
For more information about the Wellness Center, contact Merrill at (610) 328-8874 or visit www.healthplex.net. The Healthplex Sports Club is located next to Springfield Hospital at 194 W. Sproul Road.