Health Tip: Eat More Fruits and Veggies
You should fill half of your plate with fruits and veggies at each meal, experts say. But that can be a challenge.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these creative suggestions for boosting consumption of fruits and vegetables:
- Keep a big bowl of fresh, brightly colored fruit in your kitchen.
- When you have a recipe for pasta, pizza, soup, salad, casserole or sandwiches, double the amount of fruits or veggies that are called for.
- Puree, shred or grate veggies into dishes such as rice, meatloaf, mashed potatoes and pasta sauce.
- Spice up your old recipes with a new vegetable.
- Use a big lettuce leaf instead of a tortilla or bread for a wrap. Stuff it with fresh veggies.