New Healthplex® Wellness Program: 60 Days, 60 Dollars = One Healthy You
- The Healthplex Sports Club has introduced a new wellness program to help bridge the gap between physician- or clinician-referred exercise and an independent exercise program.
- At a cost of $60 for 60 days, participants work with certified exercise specialists to help structure an exercise routine that will help them to live healthy, active lifestyles.
- To enter the program, participants need to get a physician referral, fill out a medical questionnaire about past and current ailments, and receive a physical assessment that measures balance, muscular strength and cardiovascular endurance.
Exercise has many health benefits. For example, it can help men and women reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease, manage their weight and improve their overall mood. Can it be a prescription for good health? The fitness professionals of the Wellness Center at the Healthplex® Sports Club think so, and it’s the basis of the club’s new “60 for 60” program.
The program was created by the Wellness Center at Healthplex® Sports Club to help bridge the gap between physician- or clinician-referred exercise and an independent exercise program. At a cost of $60 for 60 days, participants work with certified exercise specialists to help structure an exercise routine that will help them to live healthy, active lifestyles.
Participants begin the program with a physician referral. Participants then fill out a medical questionnaire about past and current ailments, followed by a physical assessment that measures balance, muscular strength and cardiovascular endurance. These steps are taken to ensure that Healthplex professionals can develop successful, safe workouts that are tailored to the specific capabilities and needs of each participant.
“Our mission is to give people the tools and assistance required to sustain change toward lifelong exercise. We change people’s lives by empowering them to move and live, rather than exist with ailments. We encourage participants to take control of their well-being one healthy step at a time,” says Tonya Merrill, M.S., ACSM-CPT, CES-NSCA, wellness director at the Healthplex® Sports Club.
Program participants are asked to complete two 30-minute workout sessions each week with a fitness specialist for 60 days. Participants are also encouraged to do supervised or unsupervised exercise. Supervised exercise is recommended for those who have little exercise experience and feel they need the extra supervision. Participants who are referred to supervised exercise will only exercise in the Wellness Center at the club. If a participant is referred to an unsupervised exercise program, they will be allowed to access the club as if they were full members, beyond the two 30-minute sessions per week.
The 60 for 60 Program offers different program tracks based on the needs of the participant:
• Post-Hospital Program Track (such as participants who have just completed cardiac rehabilitation, physical therapy, pulmonary rehabilitation, or treatment at Crozer-Keystone’s Center for Dizziness and Balance)
• Disease Management Track (such as those suffering from hypertension, high cholesterol, diabetes, fibromyalgia, lymph edema, pelvic floor dysfunction or depression)
• Pre-/Post-Natal Track
• Weight-Loss Track
• Pre-/Post-Surgery Track
• Or for those who need to move and exercise more.
“Our goal is to complement each participant’s medical care. That’s why we begin with a physician referral, and why we aim to maintain close communication with physicians during and after each program,” Merrill says.
The team at the Wellness Center at the Healthplex® Sports Club is committed to improving the health and fitness of men and women of all ages who are looking to prevent disease, manage an underlying medical condition, or address specific health needs. The Wellness Center is an information hub that introduces and guides participants, club members and the community to programs and services such as nutrition counseling and stress management to improve overall health.
For more information about the Wellness Center or the 60 for 60 Program, call 610-328-8874 or visit http://www.healthplex.net.