Wellness Works Paves ‘Road to Wellness’ for Employees
Since 1999, Wellness Works has actively focused on the health and wellness of Crozer-Keystone’s employees. This year, Crozer-Keystone partnered with Advanced Plan for Health (APH), in hopes to take the wellness mission further and faster down the “Road to Wellness.” Thus far, participants have had much success in leading healthier lives and our journey “on the road” will bring more accomplishment.
For example, the “Biggest Winner” Weight-Loss Challenge was a huge success. With over 370 participants distributed to 68 teams, a grand total of 2,500 pounds were lost. At the end of the program, participants were asked to complete a survey. Here is a snapshot of some of the positive feedback:
• “Biggest Winner helped me to make better food choices for my diabetes.”
• “I’ve developed a more positive attitude about walking up to several miles a day.”
• “I thought that the weekly (healthy) recipes were the best part of the program.”
• “I have been working on my health since last year, doing the challenge then and haven’t stopped. My health has improved tremendously.”
• “I am a diabetic…and I feel better since exercising more.”
Wellness Works has more exciting opportunities this fall that make it easier to take action to maintain or improve your overall health. Employees and spouses who are covered in the CKHS Advantage, Advantage PLUS and Indemnity medical plans will be invited to voluntarily participate in a confidential online health assessment questionnaire and biometric screenings. In addition, two nurse navigators will partner as patient advocates with members of the Advantage, Advantage PLUS, and Indemnity medical plans who wish to take advantage of this valuable and helpful assistance. The nurse navigators will work closely with physicians to ensure that the physician’s care plan is followed and their patients receive additional support and guidance through the “maze” that healthcare sometimes feels like. Here are a few of the major tools that will be available for eligible employees and family members who would appreciate some additional help on the “Road to Wellness”:
• The Health Assessment Questionnaire (HAQ) is a confidential online tool that evaluates your health history and habits. The answers to your health assessment result in your own personalized report to help you take the next step to better health. The HAQ includes access for you to have interactive educational sessions that are specific to your needs.
• Biometric screenings provide a convenient way for you to “know your numbers” with no out-of-pocket cost to you. Eligible employees are encouraged to take advantage of a quick, private health screenings that includes three parts – blood work, blood pressure, and body composition (height, weight, etc.). The screenings will be administered at each hospital by an independent third party lab and the results are completely confidential.
• A Nurse Navigator is a personal advocate who educates, guides and supports participants in the CKHS Advantage, Advantage PLUS and Indemnity medical plans in achieving health goals and finding the right care at the right time. The nurse navigator works closely with you and your physician to take action to improve your overall health and quality of life, particularly those suffering from chronic conditions. Participating with the nurse navigators is voluntary, and your confidentiality is ensured.
Participants will be eligible for rewards in addition to the best reward of all – the opportunity to maintain or improve your overall health and quality of life.
Over 70 employees and managers system-wide participated in focus groups. The focus group meetings provided them with the opportunity to learn about these innovative new initiatives before they begin and to provide advice. Wellness Works wants to design programs that best meet participants’ needs. Feedback from participants was very positive and their input provided valuable suggestions that will be considered as the program is rolled out.
As we all know, and as we are reminded daily with food and diet guidelines, making healthy decisions can be a challenge. Wellness Works’ goal is to make getting and staying healthy easy and enjoyable to you. Please look for updates along the way as we continue our journey on the “Road to Wellness.” For additional information, call Employee Benefit Services at (610) 595-6380.
Focus on Benefits and Wellness During Employee Benefits Open Enrollment
Open enrollment is your once-a-year opportunity to change your benefits and/or eligible dependents. It’s also a great time to focus on wellness!
The 2013 employee benefits open enrollment period will be held from Nov. 7 to Nov. 21. Be sure to read the Enrollment and Wellness Guide that will be mailed to eligible employees’ homes and to make your enrollment changes online on www.crozerbenefits.org. Enroll online 24 hours a day - it’s confidential, quick, and easy! The guide will include a schedule of dates and times where you can enroll online or complete your Health Assessment Questionnaire right at work if you don’t have access to a computer. Call Employee Benefit Services at (610) 595-6380 or 19-6380 for more information.
Representatives from Employee Benefit Services and the companies that provide the benefits to the health system (such as AmeriHealth, Davis Vision, Delta Dental, Fidelity Investments, and TIAA-CREF) will also be available to answer questions at the benefit fairs, which will be held on these dates:
• Taylor Hospital: Monday, Nov. 12 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Classrooms A, B and C.
• DCMH: Tuesday, Nov. 13 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Conference Rooms A/C
• Community Hospital: Wednesday, Nov. 14 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the One Southwest Conference Room
• Crozer: Thursday, Nov. 15 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the James E. Clark Auditorium Lobby
• Springfield Hospital: Friday, Nov. 16 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the 1st Floor Conference Room