Moms in Motion: Health and Wellness for Mom-to-be and More
- Crozer-Keystone’s “Moms in Motion” program allows moms-to-be and postpartum mothers to enroll in wellness classes at the Healthplex® Sports Club in Springfield.
- It’s important for pregnant women to stay healthy throughout their pregnancy and beyond. Exercising after pregnancy can also help new moms relieve stress and regain their pre-pregnancy fitness.
- A variety of different classes are offered, including Struttin’ Strollers, Aqua Mom, and Supervised Exercise Sessions.
Katie McGarry knows firsthand that being pregnant and becoming a new mom is an amazing feeling. She also knows that her new role of “mommy” comes with a fair share of stress, and that it can often be difficult to make sure she is staying healthy while pre-occupied with all of her new responsibilities.
Lucky for her and all of the moms in the Delaware County area, Crozer-Keystone’s “Moms in Motion” program allows moms-to-be and postpartum mothers to enroll in wellness classes at the Healthplex® Sports Club in Springfield. The program is led by specially trained experts who take into account each woman’s personal needs and fitness level.
“This fee-based program really is beneficial to a wide range of moms — from those who are barely showing to those looking to slim back down to their pre-pregnancy weight,” says Tonya Merrill, wellness director of the Healthplex® Sports Club and director of the Moms in Motion program. “We offer a variety of different classes that can be tailored to each woman’s individual needs. Both land-based and aquatic classes are available to help women remain fit during and after giving birth.”
The Moms in Motion program offers the following classes:
- Struttin’ Strollers: Moms can bring their infants or toddlers in strollers to this class, which combines cardiovascular exercise and strength training.
- Aqua Mom: A low-impact class held in the club’s heated therapy pool.
- Supervised Exercise Sessions: These one-hour supervised exercise programs are specially designed for pregnant women.
“I began the Moms in Motion program by taking the Aqua Mom course when I was pregnant, and it really helped to relieve the aches and pains that I was experiencing at the time,” says McGarry, new mom of a nine-month-old baby girl. ”Now, I am taking the Struttin’ Strollers course, and couldn’t be happier with it. It’s a great way to become active, spend time with my baby, and socialize with other moms.”
“It’s important for pregnant women to stay healthy throughout their pregnancy and beyond,” Merrill says. “Exercising after pregnancy can also help new moms relieve stress and regain their pre-pregnancy fitness.”
Moms in Motion instructors assess the current level of fitness participants before they begin a class. This helps the instructors to best meet participants’needs and to help them achieve a healthy pregnancy or maintain good health after pregnancy.
McGarry, who gave birth to her first daughter, Lucy, at Crozer-Chester Medical Center, adds that “becoming a member of the Moms in Motion program is beneficial both physically and emotionally. Not only does it make you feel great to be doing something to improve your health and stay active, you are also bonding with and relating to other women who may be experiencing the same joys and challenges of being a parent.”
How much does Moms in Motion cost? A special rate of $35 for the first month will be given to all moms who are planning to deliver their baby at Crozer-Chester Medical Center or Delaware County Memorial Hospital. This rate gives participants the opportunity to take advantage of all of the applicable Moms in Motion classes. Membership to the Healthplex® Sports Club is not required.
For more information and to become a member of the Moms in Motion program, call the Healthplex® Sports Club Wellness Department at (610) 328-8874 or e-mail email@example.com.