The Respiratory Care Program limits enrollment to 16 students. The program begins in the Fall semester each year. Students must gain entry into the program before they are able to register for and begin any Respiratory Therapy coursework.
Admission to the program is on a first-come, first-qualified basis for students that meet the admission criteria. Applications for admission to the program are accepted as early as November of the preceding year. Students in sponsoring school districts may apply in November of the preceding year; all others may apply in December of the preceding year. Applications are evaluated by the Admissions Office of Delaware County Community College (DCCC) beginning in September and periodically thereafter. Only completed applications are considered by the Admissions Office for entry into the program.
Admission criteria include academic performance measurements and state police background checks, which must be current within one year of entrance into the program. Drug and alcohol screening is also necessary for the admission to the program, as a student cannot participate in clinical courses without this documentation.
Admission is granted by the DCCC Admissions Office only on a first qualified basis. Please refer to the DCCC web site for more specific admission information and to download a DCCC application.
Qualifications for admission are as follows:
The courses that are required as pre-requisites for admission are:
- College Algebra (MAT 100)
- English Composition 1 (ENG 100)
- General Chemistry with Lab (CHE 110)
These courses must be passed with a grade of "C" or better AND a minimal Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5.
All applicants are also required to take the Health Occupations Basic Entrance Test (HOBET), which is offered at DCCC. The following scores will be considered for acceptance:
- Essential Math skills, 46%
- Reading Comprehension, 54%
- English Language and usage, 46%
- Science component, 33%
Summary of Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Successful admission to Delaware County Community College
- Pre-requisite courses
- English Composition I (ENG 100)
- Intermediate Algebra (MAT 100)
- General Chemistry with lab (CHE 100)
- Health Occupations Basic Entrance Test (HOBET-V)
- Criminal History Record Information Report
- Child and Elder abuse clearance
- Drug and alchohol screening