Drowning is a leading cause of death in children under five years of age. If a child is missing, look in the pool first. Seconds count in a drowning rescue.
Follow these pool safety tips to keep your summer fun:
- Be sure pool gates are self-closing and self-latching
- Keep rescue equipment by the pool
- Have a portable phone near pool with emergency numbers posted
- Keep toys away from pool area
- Remove steps from above ground pools when not in use
- Never leave a child unsupervised near a pool
- Never dive into an above-ground pools – too shallow
- Don’t dive from the side of an in-ground pools – go in feet first
- Keep tables and chairs well away from pool
View the Video
Additional Information/Follow Up
For additional information, please visit the American Red Cross’ pool safety tips.
The Healthplex Sports Club offers a wide variety of swimming lessons for children of all ages.